Monday, July 1, 2013

Rules for Mommyhood

Although Jon and I know it will be a couple more years before we start trying to have little baby Jeffers, we have discussed what kind of parents we'll be.

I have several things that I've said for many years that I will NEVER do as a mom and things I will ALWAYS do as a mom. But as I've gotten a little older and a few of my friends have started having babies, I've learned that things are not going to be as structured and simple as my feeble mind may have thought.

So... I've compiled a list of things that I've said in the past that I, as a mom, or my children will never or always do.

I'll probably look at this one day and laugh at my ignorant self :) and that's the purpose of this post. So I can look back years from now and say "HAHA... Pre-mom Catelyn was such an idiot". It'll be great.

Rule #1- Never a minivan will I drive. I don't care how spacious they are or how convenient it is to have automatic slide-y doors. They're just not cute and I don't want one!

Rule #2- My kids will never throw fits in public. They'll know better! I don't know how they'll know better but they just will, ok?

Rule #3- My kids will only be allowed to watch TV or play video games for one hour a day. The rest the day, they will be outside. Building forts, playing in the mud, and having adventures. And I'll, of course, be out there with them because they need supervision. And the house will automatically clean itself and dinner will make itself. Obviously.

Rule #4- My kids will only have enough toys to fit in their own toy box. If the toy box starts overflowing, it's time to purge. And they'll be ok with that cuz kids can't possibly be attached to EVERY toy they own... Right?

Rule #5- I won't sugar coat it when my kid doesn't make the basketball team. I won't go talk to the coach and complain, I won't tell my kid "Oh it's all just politics! So unfair!" I'll tell him or her that disappointment happens, and you just need to practice more and try again next year. And I'll keep my composure and I won't crumble to the floor like a baby when I see the disappointment in their sweet face... Ok I'm tearing up now. On to the next rule.

Rule #6- Crafts! We will do crafts all the time. I won't dictate how their crafts should turn out because I want their imaginations to run wild... along with the finger paints and glitter glue. And my house will still stay clean, hooray!!

Rule #7- I will have a delicious meal ready for my hard working hubby whenever he gets home from work. How will I do this when I'm playing outside, making crafts, and my kids aren't allowed to watch TV all the live long day, you ask? Well, um... Hmm...... On to the next rule!

Rule #8- I will not force my kid to eat vegetables. I was forced to eat vegetables as a child... And guess what mom! I still hate em! They're gross! And yeah, when my kid goes to a friends house whose mom has made sautéed spinach, he'll probably say "Ew gross, that stuff looks disgusting!" And will I be embarrassed? Yes. Yes I will be.

Rule #9- I will never put my child on one of those backpack leash things. Kids are not animals. So what if I'm on a walk with the dog and all seven of my children and the 2 year old gets away? And he grows up in the wilderness and he's found years later and they make a movie about him. That's a cool story, people!

Rule #10- My kids will know unconditional love. And they'll know they have plenty of it. From me, from their daddy, from our families, and from Jesus. That one I'm sure about :)

Disclaimer: to any moms who might read this, please don't be offended. As you read this, you may think "what a little jerk! She has no idea what it's like!" And you're right! I don't! So a few years down the road, when I'm in a mini-van with little tvs in the back and driving around the block for hours letting my kids watch movie after movie just so I can have some PEACE AND QUIET..... You can make fun of me. I give you full permission to say: "See... Told you so."

Me as a baby... Just for fun :)


Thanks for reading :)

Have a wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. This made me laugh! And not in a bad way--I just like how it was written. I would still be minivan-less if it were not for our surprise Number Three and the need for a used vehicle we could drive into the ground. Someday, an SUV driver I will be. Until then ... I absolutely cannot function without my van and its automatic doors, ha. Oh, and the whole "sliding" thing is fantastic because kids can't open their doors into the cars parked next to them. Took me a while to realize why that was a big deal. I get it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, the scary thing is... all of those reasons you just gave make total sense! ugh! ;)

      Delete