Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Katie

When we first moved to Florida, Jon had accepted the Youth Pastor position at Park Street, but the current youth pastor and his family weren't resigning until August. So for the summer, Jon worked as an intern at the church. We helped out in the children ministry as well as the youth group.

On one of our first Sundays in the youth group, Amie, the previous youth pastor's wife, was taking roll during Sunday school and introducing me to people. She came across two names: Beth Yale and Katie Yale. She said "they'll be here, they're just usually late" as she checked off their names. I thought it was funny that they notoriously struggled with punctuality, much like myself ;) but I also remember thinking it was cool that she knew they'd be there. So they were faithful. Sweet.

Sure enough, about ten minutes late, in walk two girls. They were obviously sisters: same petite build, same features, same long straight hair, both adorable. I concluded that these must be the Yale Girls. Right away, people began teasing and joking with them; "the Yales, ladies and gentlemen!" "About time" "Fashionably late". The girls laughed, and argued a little about whether their tardiness was Katie's fault or Beth's. It was quite entertaining.

After Sunday school, I introduced myself to the girls. Beth was sweet and soft spoken, and Katie was spunky and talked a million words a minute. I liked them both right away.


The first time I was able to hang out with Katie outside of church was at a girls sleepover. We all went over to Amie's house for movies, snacks, and games. I learned a little more about Katie. I learned that she could eat more than you'd expect. I learned that she was very friendly, which I liked. I also learned that she was competitive, which I liked even more ;) We played several card games and that girl was In. Tense. Love it.


(Far right in the blue shirt)

I really got to connect more with Katie at church camp. I loved how she got wholeheartedly involved in everything we did. Whether it was music, service, games, or even cleaning, Katie was all about it. She had a great attitude and it was infectious. She was also very independent. If she decided she wanted to go to the snack shop and no one else wanted to go, guess what. She'd still go. She wasn't afraid to do her own thing. She was a leader.





One night after church, when Jon and I had officially taken over the youth group, Katie and I sat and talked for quite a while. It was our first real heart to heart. She asked if I was excited to be a youth pastor's wife. I told her I was absolutely excited, but I was also nervous. Nervous about filling Amie's shoes, nervous about connecting with the girls, nervous about not coming off as a huge dork. She looked at me and said "Oh whatever! I already love you and I know everybody else does to. You'll be awesome."

That was so encouraging to me. Such a simple thing to say, but so sweet and uplifting, especially from a 15 year old girl. But, that's just how she was. She spoke her mind, and she wasn't afraid to give out compliments. She always saw good in people.

On Monday, September 2nd, everyone in our family had the day off work for Labor Day. We decided to get together and go bowling. Jon and I had just arrived at the bowling alley when we got a phone call. Katie had been in an accident. She was rushed to the hospital, but she wasn't responding.

My throat tightened and my heart dropped. Katie Yale? The girl I just saw yesterday at church? Impossible. She was fine yesterday. She was her normal, spunky self. She told me she had helped a freshman girl find her classes on Friday. She told me she was going to ask that girl to eat lunch with her on Tuesday. She told me she had a volleyball game coming up. And now she's in the hospital? Not responding? Is this happening?

Jon and I left right away to go to the hospital. When we got there, only her grandparents were in the lobby. Katie's mom was with the doctor, her dad was on his way, and no one else had arrived yet. That's when her grandma told us what had happened.

Katie's family went boating to celebrate Labor day. She and her friend, Aubrey, were on a tube that was connected to a rope and tied to the boat. As they were tubing, being dragged on the tube behind the boat, two people on a jet ski were driving in the opposite direction of the boat. The driver of the jet ski decided that when they passed each other, he'd drive around the back of the boat to go over its wake. He didn't realize the boat was carrying a tube, and that tube was carrying two teenage girls. He turned to go around behind the boat, and drove directly into the tube. Both girls were flown into the water. The jet ski had driven right into Katie. Both girls were rushed to the hospital.

Aubrey was fine, praise God. She was soon released from the hospital and came down to join the rest of us who we're waiting to hear about Katie. After a while, several more people had arrived and we were all waiting to hear what was going on. It seemed like forever, but finally the doctor came out. He told everyone that Katie's heart had stopped, but they were able to get her back and stabilize her a little, with the help of machines. However, she had a lot of internal bleeding and her situation was extremely critical.

The rest of the night was a blur. They lost her heart beat. They got her back. She coded again. They got her back. More internal bleeding, going to perform surgery to stop it. She coded again. They brought her back again. Finally the doctor stopped coming to update us, so all we could do was wait. There were no less than 30 people in the waiting room. We sang, we cried, prayed. And we waited.

Late in the night, the doctor came and asked Katie's mom and dad to come with him. They walked into a little room. We didn't hear what the doctor said, but then we heard her parents. They started sobbing, pleading, and begging God not to take her. My heart was physically hurting. We all sat in silence, with the exception of our weeping. We didn't know what they were told, but we knew it wasn't what we were hoping for. Her parents didn't come back to the waiting room.

A little while later, the doctor came through the doors. You could hear a pin drop as we anticipated whatever news he had for us. After what seemed like several minutes of intense, quiet waiting... the doctor finally spoke. He told us that Katie had no brain activity. They were going to take her off machines and she would be gone very soon. He asked us to prepare to say our goodbyes.

Everything moved in slow motion for the next several minutes. I looked at her grandparents, holding each other in the corner. I saw Katie's friends drop to their knees. I looked over at my husband. He was holding his head in his hands and I could see tears falling from his face. I felt my own hot tears rolling down my cheeks. What is happening? Why?

Several of our youth students were there, so we decided to go see her together and say good bye. When we walked in, Beth laid her head on her big sister's chest and cried. We all gathered around Katie, touched her hands, touched Beth's back, hugged each other, sobbed. But none of us said anything. What was there to say?

Jon and I went home a little while later. It was very quiet in our home that evening.

Katie passed away on Tuesday, September 3rd. That Wednesday in youth group, we didn't have a regular service. Instead we just took the night to remember Katie. We decided to make a scrapbook for the family. Each student got a strip of paper. They could write memories, notes to Katie, notes to her family, song lyrics, quotes. Pretty much anything they wanted.











Jon also took the opportunity that night to remind our youth group that anything can happen in the blink of an eye. He presented the gospel and told them that if they don't know where they're going when they die, the better settle it soon.

I honestly lost track of how many people gave their lives to God because of Katie's story. Kids in our children's ministry, students in our youth group, co workers, neighbors, even my nephew, Logan. One girl in the youth group called me one night and said she needed to be saved, so I was able to pray with her over the phone and she accepted Christ right then. Katie's testimony has led so many people to salvation.

That Saturday was Katie's funeral. Our auditorium seats about 480. We're estimating that there were over 700 there that day. People were sitting in classrooms, in the aisles, even in the hallway.


One of the songs we sand was a familiar one, but it holds a different meaning to me now. Every time I hear it, it takes me back to that day.

"You give and take away.
You give and take away.
My heart will choose to say,
Lord blessed be Your name".


At the end of the funeral, Katie's dad surprised everyone by asking to come on stage and say a few words. He told everyone that although this was unexpected and heartbreaking, there was nothing they could have done differently, it was just her time to go home to heaven. He also said that if Katie could choose between coming back, or going to heaven and having a part in all of those people trusting in Christ, you better believe she wouldn't change a thing. And I think he's absolutely right.

Last Thursday, February 6th, would have been Katie's 16th birthday. We decided to celebrate by inviting her family, schools friends, and the youth group to have a night of food, cake, and volleyball. We were nervous about the event because we didn't want it to be a "birthday party", we didn't want it to be a memorial, but we also didn't want to let her birthday go by without acknowledging her. There were about 50 or 60 of Katie's friends there to celebrate her, and we all had a lot of fun. I think that would have made Katie really happy. Although I think celebrating your sweet 16 in heaven with your creator is hard to beat ;)

I realize I didn't know Katie for a very long time. Only about about 3 months. But in that time, I was definitely able to see what a beautiful girl she was in so many ways. Losing her was devastating to so many people, but we have hope in knowing that we will see her again in heaven.


We love you, Katie. See you later.

Have a wonderful day, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment